Authenticate with Twitter
In order to run Twitter feeds on your site you have to create a Twitter application. It is necessary to generate Twitter API Keys, Access Token and secret keys.
This is a unified guide for all Social Stream Apps including Flow-Flow for WordPress and Shopify, Grace Instagram Gallery and all upcoming streaming apps. Here and below by any mention of Plugin or Social Stream App means one of the apps or plugins listed above.
Create a Twitter Application
- Go to https://developer.twitter.com/ and log in, if necessary.
- To create Twitter applications and get access to the API you have to apply for a Developer account.
Register on the Twitter API platform for developers.
- Choose the way you want to use Twitter API.
- Fill some details about you and your Twitter application. Or you can say that you will not analyze tweets data anyhow. Please be clear and fair, otherwise, the moderation team can restrict you to get access to Twitter API.
- When you will get Developer access to the Twitter API, open your account menu and click on Apps item.
- Click the Create an app button and fill an App details form. Enter any App name e.g. “Social Streams”, Application description and your website URL. You can leave the callback URL empty.
Also, please fill the field Tell us how this app will be used and describe your plans for using tweets you'll get from Twitter API.
- Submit the form by clicking the Create button.
Hint: You can view your Twitter applications or create a new one anytime on Twitter Application Management.
Get your auth keys
- On your newly created Twitter application page go to the tab Keys and Tokens.
- Under the Consumer API keys find and copy your
API secret key. Then click Create button and get Access token & access token secret values.
- Open your Social Streams App/Plugin Auth settings page in the admin panel. And paste all this info in corresponding fields.