Authenticate with Instagram
This is a unified guide for all Social Stream Apps including Flow-Flow for WordPress and Shopify, Grace Instagram Gallery, and all upcoming streaming apps. Here and below by any mention of Plugin or Social Stream App means one of the apps or plugins listed above.
Basically, to display Instagram feeds you have to authenticate on Instagram on the Plugin AUTH tab.
Use Instagram feeds with Graph API
Since Instagram (owned by Facebook) has decisively shut down its old APIs, we got Facebook's approval and implemented the new Instagram Graph API in Flow-Flow. It works as a unified application with fairly simple actions required.
To obtain an API token and get content from Instagram, please connect to our Facebook app under the AUTH tab. This token will be used for pulling BOTH Facebook AND Instagram feeds:
- Switch your personal Instagram profile to a business profile. Please visit your mobile Instagram app, open your profile, tap the menu icon in the top right, and then the settings cogwheel at the bottom. Scroll down to the “Switch to business account” option.
- Connect your Instagram account to a Facebook business page:
Go to your Instagram profile using the mobile app. Hit the Edit Profile button. Under Public Business Information, Select Page. Tap Create Facebook Page or Connect an Existing Page. Choose a Page from your Pages that you'd like to connect to or select Create a New Facebook Page. Tap Done after you've selected a Page or created a new Page. Your business account is now connected to a Facebook Page.
- Visit the AUTH tab in the plugin admin dashboard, find the "Facebook and Instagram integration" section, and hit the CONNECT button.
- You will be redirected to Facebook application auth processing. Select your Instagram business account and save settings.
- On the next page, select your Facebook business page and save settings. Please make sure you checked the only page (currently no multi-pages supported) with the Instagram account connected.
- And set access permissions to get posts, comments, etc.
- If no mistakes were made, you will get this window. Press OK.
- You will be redirected back to the plugin admin page with a token inserted. If you got any issues during these steps, try to disable ad-blockers or wait a couple of minutes before a new try.
- Create feeds you need (User, Hashtag, or Location). You have no need to enter hash (#) or mention (@) symbols:
Instagram API limitations
- Only Business and Creator accounts feeds can be pulled (you can pull feeds of such accounts even that you don't own).
- You can query a maximum of 30 unique hashtags on behalf of an Instagram Business or Creator Account within a rolling, 7 day period. Once you query a hashtag, it will count against this limit for 7 days. Subsequent queries on the same hashtag within this time frame will not count against your limit, and will not reset its initial query 7 day timer.
- Personally, identifiable information will not be included in responses.
- Emojis in hashtag queries are not supported.
- The API will return a generic error for any requests that include hashtags that we have deemed sensitive or offensive.
If your feeds are showing the "(#100) Tried accessing nonexisting field (business_discovery) on node type (Page)" error, please make sure that during the authentication process you connected the Facebook page with the Instagram account connected. Also, connecting multiple pages is not supported (so there is no need to do this for proper work).
Before re-authentication, try to remove the Flow-Flow app here https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=business_tools&ref=business_login_reentry. And authenticate after that.