Authenticate with Instagram
This is a unified guide for all Social Stream Apps including Flow-Flow for WordPress and Shopify, Grace Instagram Gallery, and all upcoming streaming apps. Here and below by any mention of Plugin or Social Stream App means one of the apps or plugins listed above.
Basically, to display Instagram feeds you have to authenticate on Instagram on the Plugin AUTH tab.
- Method 1. Use Instagram feeds with Graph API
- Method 2. Authorize from our plugin (Open API) (for Flow-Flow v.<4.6.x and Grace)
Method 1. Use Instagram feeds with Graph API
Since Instagram (owned by Facebook) has decisively shut down its old APIs, we got Facebook approval and implemented the new Instagram Graph API in Flow-Flow. It works as a unified application with fairly simple actions required.
To obtain an API token and get content from Instagram, please connect to our Facebook app under the AUTH tab. This token will be used for pulling BOTH Facebook AND Instagram feeds:
- Switch your personal Instagram profile to a business profile. Please visit your mobile Instagram app, open your profile, tap the menu icon in the top right, and then the settings cogwheel at the bottom. Scroll down to the “Switch to business account” option.
- Connect your Instagram account to a Facebook business page. You can do this directly when switching to an Instagram Business account or you can do it later under the "Settings -> Linked accounts" section. If you don’t have a Facebook business page, please create one.
- Visit the AUTH tab in the plugin admin dashboard, find the "Facebook and Instagram integration" section, and hit the CONNECT button.
- You will be redirected to Facebook application auth processing. Select your business page and save settings.
- You will be redirected back to the plugin admin page with a token inserted. If you got any issues during these steps, try to disable ad-blockers or wait a couple of minutes before a new try.
- Create feeds you need (User of Hashtag) with using of Official API option in feed settings:
Method 2. Authorize from our plugin (Open API)
- (Optionally) Enable IPv4 option on the plugin SETTINGS tab.
- Add Instagram login data in the Flow-Flow AUTH tab. Avoid using your personal "surfing" account or feed's account, and we advise creating a separate Instagram account to use its login exclusively in the plugin. Register in the browser. Don't use a phone number, only email. Follow some people in a new account.
- Enable or create an Instagram feed; in most cases, you will get an error on the first run. Please keep Instagram feeds update period as ONCE A DAY in feed settings to avoid risks of Instagram API overload.
If you're using Flow-Flow, don't forget to choose the Open API option in feed settings (for Grace this section is not available yet).
- Go to the Instagram app or website and confirm it was you trying to login (it will show your server physical location and ask for confirmation).
- Enable feed you created in step 3. It should work after that.
- All next feeds created from this moment should be fine.
WHY WE ARE ASKING FOR PASSWORD?
Is it safe? Yes, as a trusted business we have no interest in doing any shenanigans that can hurt our relationships with customers in the long run and to this day we didn’t ask for any login info. The password is currently being asked so that it can be stored and used on your site exclusively to get Instagram data without limitations (plugin can even work without passwords at all, check above). This will likely change in future versions after full migration to unified Facebook-Instagram API.
OPTIONALLY, you can try to use Instagram feeds without authentication. Enable USE IPV4 PROTOCOL under the Settings tab on the Plugin admin page and set FEED UPDATES FREQUENCY to ONCE A DAY in feed settings to avoid risks of Instagram API overload. Enable or create Instagram feeds again, one by one, and with some pauses between these actions to not generate too many requests.