Authenticate with Instagram
Basically, to display Instagram feeds you have to authenticate on Instagram on the Plugin AUTH tab.
This is a unified guide for all Social Stream Apps including Flow-Flow for WordPress and Shopify, Grace Instagram Gallery, and all upcoming streaming apps. Here and below by any mention of Plugin or Social Stream App means one of the apps or plugins listed above.
Method 1. Use Instagram feeds without authentication
Due to Instagram’s accelerated deprecation of its old APIs and migrating to a new unified Facebook-Instagram API, we implemented a new temporary authorization flow for Instagram integration in Flow-Flow and Grace plugins. Currently, plugins CAN work without authentication.
If you face any type of error with Instagram feeds, please try to:
- Update plugin to the latest version and be sure to check to changelog if it states updates for Instagram. You always can get the latest Pro version from the Codecanyon Downloads page, and the latest Lite version is available on Wordpress.org plugin's page.
- Request limits for Instagram URLs from a single IP were severely reduced. Toggle any current live Instagram feeds to an inactive state or even delete them to guarantee no requests made. Wait for 1 hour at least, because it’s a high chance that your server is exceeding Instagram rate limits at the moment and all requests are blocked. Maybe, you will need to give your IP even more ‘rest’, up to 2-4 days.
- Try to enable USE IPV4 PROTOCOL under the Settings tab on the Plugin admin page and rebuild feed cache.
- Set FEED UPDATES FREQUENCY to ONCE A DAY in feed settings to avoid risks of Instagram API overload.
- Enable or create Instagram feeds again, one by one, and with some pauses between these actions to not generate too many requests.
If this way wouldn't work, we encourage you to authorize from our plugin (see below).
Method 2. Authorize from our plugin
- In most cases, you will need to confirm your usage in the Instagram app itself. Avoid using your personal "surfing" account, and we advise creating a separate Instagram account for authentication purposes.
Also, for now, the plugin doesn’t support two-factor authorization, please disable it to use our plugin for Instagram.
- On the plugin’s admin under the Auth tab, find the Instagram auth settings section.
- Enter your Instagram account login and password to the fields provided and save changes.
- Enable or create an Instagram feed; you will get an error on the first run.
- Go to the Instagram app or website and confirm it was you trying to login (it will show your server physical location and ask for confirmation).
- Enable feed you created in step 3. It should work after that.
WHY WE ARE ASKING FOR PASSWORD?
Is it safe? Yes, as a trusted business we have no interest in doing any shenanigans that can hurt our relationships with customers in the long run and to this day we didn’t ask for any login info. The password is currently being asked so that it can be stored and used on your site exclusively to get Instagram data without limitations (plugin can even work without passwords at all, check above). This will likely change in future versions after full migration to unified Facebook-Instagram API.