Authenticate with Facebook and Instagram
This is a unified guide for all Social Stream Apps including Flow-Flow for WordPress, Flow-Flow for Shopify, and all upcoming streaming apps. Here and below by any mention of Plugin or Social Stream App means one of the apps or plugins listed above.
In order to use official API and pull feeds from Facebook and Instagram (owned by Facebook), you have to get a unified Facebook Access Token. To obtain an API token and get content from Facebook and Instagram, please connect to our Facebook app under the AUTH tab. This token will be used for pulling BOTH Facebook AND Instagram feeds on your behalf:
- Visit the AUTH tab in the plugin admin dashboard, find the "Facebook and Instagram integration" section, and hit the CONNECT button.
- You will be redirected to Facebook application auth processing. Select your business page and save settings. If you plan to use Instagram, also select an Instagram account (see requirements below)
- You will be redirected back to the plugin admin page with a token inserted. If you got any issues during these steps, try to disable ad-blockers or wait a couple of minutes before a new try.
If you plan to pull Instagram feeds and since new API is meant for business use, next is required to do:
- Switch your personal Instagram account (or your company account) to a Business or Creator Account. Please visit the mobile Instagram app, open profile, tap the menu icon in the top right, and then the settings cogwheel at the bottom. Scroll down to the “Switch to business account” (or Creator) option.
- Connect Instagram account from above to a Facebook business page. You can do this directly when switching to an Instagram Business (Creator) account or you can do it later under the "Settings -> Linked accounts" section. If you don’t have a Facebook business page, please create one.
Instagram API limitations
- Only Business and Creator accounts feeds can be pulled (including that you don't own).
- You can query a maximum of 30 unique hashtags on behalf of an Instagram Business or Creator Account within a rolling, 7 day period. Once you query a hashtag, it will count against this limit for 7 days. Subsequent queries on the same hashtag within this time frame will not count against your limit, and will not reset its initial query 7 day timer.
- Personally, identifiable information will not be included in responses.
- No feeds by location available.
- Emojis in hashtag queries are not supported.
- The API will return a generic error for any requests that include hashtags that we have deemed sensitive or offensive.